Friday, January 17, 2014

Stages...changes. It is what it is.

Keeping a smile
Today I started my morning with bathing mom. She had an accident.

Mom's been having trouble with urinary incontinence these past few weeks.  She has experienced a few accidents, not often, but here and there.  Each time I got up to help her change and clean up, a couple of times it was the middle of the night, other times during a nap.

Each time it has happened, I'm extremely calm and soft spoken with mom and act as if it's not a big deal and something normal so she wouldn't feel embarrassed (she apologizes each time it happens) so I let her know it isn't her fault.

Weird, because it IS normal for someone in her medical state.  Incontinence is something that happens in the latter stages of dementia, however I've scheduled a Doctor's appointment to rule out some factors such as UTI's (Urinary Tract Infections) etc...I happen to think that mom's problem is not being able to reach the bathroom on time because her muscles have weakened and it takes a while for her to get up from her bed, so I decided that we are going to take her mattresses off of the box spring to see if it will make it easier for her to get in and out of bed (I'm sure it will). Hopefully she will have fewer accidents...I really think this is the issue, but we will see.

I've been holding back and haven't really wanted to mention it to people/friends/family the few times they happen to ask about mom, but it's pretty important I share this information with people so they know the reality behind the disease from a caregiver's POV.

Going through this stage with mom is again teaching me about patience and understanding, it's a long road ahead.  I thank God every day for what we have, and ask him for patience, strength and the means to continue supporting our family in the worldly sense.  It isn't easy, but with the love and support of my husband and son, nothing seems impossible.

EV


No comments:

Post a Comment