Sunday, July 7, 2013

A breath of fresh air...

Mom is sitting on the far right, I'm on her left
On the 4th of July we spent a lot of time with various family members.  For lunch, one of my cousins and her family came over for a visit.  Mom recognized my cousin, but could not remember her name. (This is typical). Mom sat and had lunch with us, and chimed in when we talked. (I do my best to keep her in my conversations with others without going too off of the subject, it can get difficult).

After lunch and dessert, my cousin and I sat on the back porch to watch her daughter swim in the pool. We were outside for about half an hour before mom walked out, wanting to join us and sit with us.

Now, you might not see this as a big deal, but please know that my mom has NEVER once gone outside on her own, even when asked to sit out on the porch, mom usually shows disinterest and a little fear (She's been like this since about a year after her initial diagnosis).  I don't know what exactly triggered her wanting to join us, but she did and it was very nice sitting with her and enjoying her company in the cool breeze - it was nice knowing the sunshine was shinning on mom.

It's been a few days since July 4th, and I sit outside every single day - always inviting mom to come out for some fresh air...she hasn't accepted the invitation yet.  She may never want to sit outside on the porch with me ever again, I do not know and I can't force her to do certain things that scare her or make her uncomfortable, so that moment is an everlasting one that I will never forget. I'm happy that my husband even saw that moment as groundbreaking and took a picture from inside of our home to capture it.  I'll always treasure this photo and memory whether or not mom ever decides to join me outside on the porch again because I will know that during that moment, at that particular time mom felt no fear and possibly "normal".

Love you mom!  Always and forever!

EV

No comments:

Post a Comment