Friday, March 14, 2014

Reality CHECK list

I recently applied for more caregiving hours and special at home hospice care for mom and I. I see mom spiraling deeper into this illness and want to be prepared with as much physical support as I can get that's offered. Reading about Dementia, studying it and trying to look for help and plans available for patients and caregivers is a lot of work.  The other day I got an at home visit with an govt. health provider where I received an interview to apply for extra at home care/treatment.  I was asked about 50-80 questions all dealing with moms health, doctors and the amount of time mom has lived with us.

The interviewer said it was rare for someone my age to be married with a family, she then said it was even rarer that I was caring for my mom in MY home, she said most caregivers sell their homes and move into their parents homes when they are their caregivers.  She commended me, but tbh mom didn't have a home, she had an apartment...she then said well, in those cases the elderly usually end up in homes so I should still be commended.

All that said, I was asked a list of questions that I am always prepared to answer from the meds mom takes, to her income status, to our living arrangements, to how the illness has progressed, etc., but what I wasn't prepared for was the list of check off items that I do for my mother as her caregiver on a daily, hourly and minute to minute basis.  I felt overwhelmed and began crying because it was at that very moment that I realized just exactly how much I do for my mom and for how long of a time I've been doing it for.

I was exhausted just answering the questions and became very emotional knowing that I truly am my mothers caregiver and that I am the one constant in her life.

I do hope I get the extra help which would include provider services 7 days a week for a total of 32 hours...it would also include help in disposables for mom, and nurse visits, plus some therapy.  Please cross your fingers, send good vibes, prayer, etc. for us.

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment